Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Weak Grip With MS

This morning my wife needed to open a bottle of juice and just didn't have the strength to do it. She normally doesn't have a problem, but there are days when her strength is just not there. She doesn't feel any MS pain or numbness in her hands, they are just weak. She doesn't have this issue very often, but does have weakness when she is tired and doesn't sleep well. The last couple of nights she has struggled to sleep after she had a late night over the weekend. Her sleep rhythms are thrown off very easily, so she will spend the next few nights trying to get back on a regular schedule.

Many times over the years my wife has squeezed my hand so that I can have a base point to work from when she experiences weakness. It is amazing how much weaker her body can become from just one day to the next. The only thing we have found to bring the strength back is rest. Once she is rested, the strength comes back and everything is back to a normal state. Many years ago we went to visit a Alternative Doctor and one of the things that I thought was really odd was he checked the area between her thumb and first finger. He said that when someone was having major Multiple Sclerosis problems the muscle in between those fingers would be almost gone and there wouldn't be any strength in their grip. My wife has good muscle tone in her hands, so he was very happy about that and gave her a good report based on many different parameters. I know that my wife's mom's hands are curled up now after years of MS working on her body. She has very little use of her hands, and they only continue to become worse. For my wife the weakness is just a temporary annoyance, but I know for others it is an everyday problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great article as for me. It would be great to read something more concerning this matter. Thank you for posting this material.
Joan Stepsen
Computer geek